Monday, May 18, 2009

outsider art.

I think I had a pretty profound conversation with god tonight. I was praying, when all of a sudden the phrase "god, paint me" left my lips. Lately I've been trying to think of the bible and this story of Christ and life not as some checklist of do's and don'ts, but rather as the most beautiful and grandiose work in progress painting ever to be undertaken. And when you begin to see Jesus like that, he's quite good at taking your breath away. So seeing god as the artist for this story, this masterpiece, I asked him to paint my life for me. And he quietly responded, "I am the artist, and I am painting you into my story as we speak." there were a few other things said that I don't quite recall, but I was moved to tears. Shortly after that I took communion, and after dipping the bread in the juice, I looked at it and realized that it was the most beautiful paint brush I had ever seen. That was very reassuring. As I think about god painting the story of my life, I like to think of myself as outsider art. Probably not beautiful or understood in the eyes of most, but in the eyes of my creator I am absolutely priceless. I treasure that idea. My heart swoons at it. And I can't help but be moved to tears by something so bold and beautiful. I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this it is beautiful and touched me immensely.

Gretchen said...

Wonderful Marcus!!!! It was great to see you today. Can't wait to hear more of what He does. It's always a good story : )