Monday, January 10, 2011

The Fear is What Keeps Us Here.

Sorry for the title. It's definitely my least favorite Zao record, but I've always thought of Dan Weyandt as one of the greatest lyricists of this generation, and I love that title. It holds very true to what I want to talk about with this post: fear.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." - 2 Timothy 1:7

God has really been hitting me with this verse lately. Hard. I think I tend to live so much of my life in fear. I think we all do. And I'm not talking about the big fears, like dying or that sort of thing. I'm talking about the little things. Just the little day to day fears. Don't talk to this person, don't tell your friends this or that, don't ask that girl out, don't talk about yourself too much, etc. Little fears that we all deal with. But I've started to realize that over time, all those little things that we never give much thought to start to add up. They start to add up a lot. And the sum is something I think we would all do well to avoid.

The way I see it, all those little things start to add up to a wasted life. And that's exactly what our enemy wants. Think about that. If God hasn't given us a spirit of fear and timidity, and those spirits aren't from God, where must they be from? If we are truly to believe that our enemy, the devil, is like a hungry lion, roaming around looking for someone to devour(1 Peter), then what would he rather see than the children of God, his enemies, wasting their lives away in a series of small, seemingly insignificant fears? Especially when the result is a nearly complete loss of everything that God desires for us. Closeness, companionship, etc.

Anyways, this is just something God has been pressing on my heart lately, so I thought I'd share it with all of you. The more conscious we are of the enemy's attacks on us, the more we will be able to recognize and resist them. We are called to a life greater than that of fear. Let's start living it.

No comments: