Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Deny The Resurrection of Christ.

so tonight i got a chance to go to the easter services at denver community church, which is where i attend church on a weekly basis. michael, our pastor, brought up an interesting topic for the sermon today. through a series of events and introspection, he had come to the decision that he denies the resurrection of jesus christ. and through a lot of soul searching and my own introspection, and some research into the topic, i have decided that i do as well. i present to you the thoughts of mr. peter rollins. these thoughts are not my own on the subject, but i have decided that i wholeheartedly agree with his position on the matter.

"Without equivocation or hesitation I fully and completely admit that I deny the resurrection of Christ. This is something that anyone who knows me could tell you, and I am not afraid to say it publicly, no matter what some people may think…

I deny the resurrection of Christ every time I do not serve at the feet of the oppressed, each day that I turn my back on the poor; I deny the resurrection of Christ when I close my ears to the cries of the downtrodden and lend my support to an unjust and corrupt system.

However there are moments when I affirm that resurrection, few and far between as they are. I affirm it when I stand up for those who are forced to live on their knees, when I speak for those who have had their tongues torn out, when I cry for those who have no more tears left to shed."

-Peter Rollins' blog - http://peterrollins.net/blog/?p=136

go ahead, breathe your sigh of relief, because at the end of the day, what i say i believe is more important that what i actually do, right? or is it the other way around? i like to think it is. i deny the resurrection. on a daily basis. and i'm not ok with that. so rather than asking me what i believe, how about you ask me what i'm doing or how i'm acting for a change, because in the end, that demonstrates what we really believe, so much more than the words that come out of our mouth. i fully deny the resurrection. every day. and i'm willing to bet you do too. what can we do to encourage each other to affirm the resurrection, rather than deny it, in our lives every day? something to think about.

No comments: